The “Escrow” tab within a loan account gives you a quick view of escrow transaction schedules, as well as escrow payments tied to an individual loan account. Through this tab, you will have the ability to customize existing escrow schedules, or alter how the system recognizes escrow values in regards to payoff, and payment application.
To access the Escrow tab, access the loan account you are wishing to view, and select the “Escrow” tab from the left-hand column (please note that this tab can be relabeled, and may not read as “Escrow”). Once you have accessed the tab, you will be greeted with the following screen:
This page will be broken into the following areas:
- Escrow Settings: The escrow settings are broken into the following areas:
- Payoff Settings: These settings allow you to select how the system will manage an early payoff & there is still an unpaid escrow balance.
- Payment Application: The payment application settings affect how the system applies portions of payments to Escrow.
- Map Through Modifications: This setting allows you to decide how the system manages escrow in the event a loan is modified. Because modifications are a “refinance” by nature, depending on circumstances you may want to stop the application of escrow to the account. By selecting “Yes” the escrow will continue applying in the previously determined method. By selecting ” No”, the escrow will stop applying.
- Escrow Adjustments: The escrow adjustments are used to record what amount is supposed to apply to the account on which period. If you are wishing for escrow to stop applying prior to the last period, you must enter in the period number where interest stops, and the amount of “0” on that period to facilitate the escrow stop.
Using the image above as an example, the escrow schedule is as follows: Starting on period 1, apply $10.00 in escrow per period. Starting in period 7, apply $0.00 in escrow until the maturity of the loan. To record a new escrow adjustment, simply select the “New Escrow Adjustment” icon. From this point, you will be greeted with the following screen:
Simply enter the number of periods you wish for the escrow balance to apply, and then the amount it is supposed to increase your payment by.
- Escrow Transactions: The escrow transactions act as a second location for you to track amounts paid into a client’s escrow account. For example, anytime a client makes a payment directly into their escrow account (which is separate from a loan payment), you can log the payments in the “Escrow Transactions”.
To enter a new “Escrow Transaction”, simply enter a title (or a name for the transaction), the amount, and a date. Once the escrow transaction has been logged, you will have the following view:
If negative amounts are entered, you will have the ability to post the escrow transaction as a payment on the loan. For example, if you are using the escrow transactions to log a reserve on the account, you can apply a portion of the reserve as a payment on the loan.
If “Yes” is selected, the escrow transaction will be logged, and you will be redirected to the “Payments” tab to finalize the processing of a payment.
The hold section acts as a secondary escrow type account on the loan, and offers nearly all the functionality of a standard escrow. To access the “Hold” menu, click anywhere in the “Hold” menu to expand the options. Once selected you will be greeted with the following expanded options:
You will notice the available options mirror those of the escrow section explained above, and can be used in the exact same manner. The primary difference between the Escrow and Hold sections are in the lack of a hold option within the initial setup of the loan.